Today seems like a good day to think about the earth, and since writing our last post on living trash-free (well, trying really hard to live trash-free!) we've gotten lots of tips from others who are trying to do the same. We've also come up with some more ideas for eliminating the trash we still produce.
Some more ideas!
1. Buy your milk in a glass bottle, the old-fashioned way. Not only is this delightfully charming, but you can return the glass bottle to the store (OR use it for an adorable flower vase). I know Ronnybrook sells their milk in glass, but surely there are others. (Please comment below if there are other glass milk-bottle sellers we should know about!)
2. Make yogurt (with your milk from glass bottles). Making plain yogurt is easier than it seems, and when it's plain you can flavor it however you want with fruit (trash-free), honey (trash-free if you buy from direct from a farmer's market or beekeeper who will take back the bottle, or use the bottle for storage), nuts (buy in bulk), etc. I've followed this recipe, and it's delightful.
3. Shop secondhand this weekend. It's going to be a beautiful Saturday, so get outside and shop some farmer's markets, stoop sales, or garage sales for secondhand items!
4. Bring tupperware to restaurants with you for leftovers.
Recipes that are super easy to make trash-free (especially if you have access to a good bulk-bin place!):
2. Pesto (on pasta bought in bulk bins!)
3. Cashew Cream (this stuff is delicious in pie/on ice cream/by the spoonful)
4. Popcorn with all sorts of toppings
Let us know what other trash-free ideas you have!